Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Favorite Childhood Meal


Being raised in a primarily Italian & Portuguese family, food was a big part of my life. As soon as anyone mentioned having a party or celebrating a holiday, the first thing that was discussed was the food that was going to be served.

 

When this prompt was provided by Carla at www.allofmenow.com I began thinking of what my favorite childhood meal was. Was it the ham dinner that we had every Christmas, was it my Grandmothers homemade waffles or could it be the July clam boil that was a family tradition for many years??? 


There are so many different meals that I enjoyed, and still do enjoy, but my favorites were the ones prepared by my grandmother (she was 100% Italian). Now, I was very fortunate to have my grandmother in my life until I was 31 years old, so that's a lot of meals. One of my favorite meals didn't involve what we were eating, but rather the conversation that went with it.


I remember it was her birthday and everyone was going over to my grandparents’ house, including my mother, my husband, and myself. My grandmother had made meatloaf (not my favorite), and as dinner was finishing, as we were finishing our clean up, my grandmother began opening her presents. You see, I was waiting to tell her that I was pregnant with my first child -  her first great grandchild!!! Needless to say the anticipation of sharing this news that she had been waiting years to hear was making me giddy. What followed next was a mix of happy tears, questions and lots of hugs. 


Even though the prompt for this blog was a favorite childhood meal, this was by far one of the most favorite meal memories of my life....in fact all meals I shared with my grandmother are my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment